Monday, October 22, 2007

The Perils of Planning: Part I

October 16, 2007- Two days until BCAD 2007

I recently read a book by Chuck Klosterman, in which he logged his attempt to watch nothing but VH1 Classic for 24 hours. Of course, I would never attempt to do something as crazy as that (there's only so much Jefferson Starship I can take!), but nonetheless, I still like the idea of blogging on one 24 hour period during a time of crisis...this is probably why I love shows like 24. So, for the next week, I will be blogging on one thing: my issues in planning Breast Cancer Awareness Day 2007. It may not be as exciting as a day of rock videos, but hey, we can't all sit around all day watching TV.

To begin, here is a timeline of the two day event:
THURSDAY
12:30- school is out
12:30-3:00- decorating venue for silent auction and speaker
3:00- pick up speaker (Geralyn Lucas) from airport...probably in bad weather and traffic.
7:00- event begins
8:00- speaker speaks
8:30- 10:00- Silent Auction

FRIDAY
11:00-11:30- Pink Ribbons Project dance troupe performs
11:30-12:30- Breast Cancer Luncheon
2:45- Ellen Cohen speaks

And that is it, organized with NO ROOM FOR ERROR...got it? OK...let the great experiement begin!!! (Spoken by Tobias Funke of Arrested Development)

WEDNESDAY:
I begin taking reservations to see the Pink Ribbons and Ellen Cohen in the morning with a sign-up sheet conveniently located in the Main Office. Unfortunately, by third period the sheet is gone...and with it apparently my patience. I discover that to have a paper posted in the main office, one must first have it approved by an administrator. I go to my favorite administrator's office, where I run into a counselor. I explain to her what happened, and she informs me of a pep rally in the room next door to where Ellen Cohen is speaking.

"But don't worry," she assures me, "It is a breast cancer-themed pep rally!"

Without a home for my speaker and against facing the enemy that is school spirit, I realize...this is what life under pressure is all about!

And then I realize...I am Jack Bauer! I live hour to hour, minute to minute, with a mission under fire. One major difference- I'm not exactly sure how well I could handle torture.

Now where is my Chloe when I need her?

TO BE CONTINUED...
24 bcad image.bmp

No comments: